Tuesday, February 3, 2009

February 2nd Class Notes

Class Notes for February 2, 2009

1. Let me begin with saying, I am so impressed with “our” threaded discussions. I feel they have been so rich in content and practical examples of what we have read in our chapters. Thanks to all of you for making them a valuable part of our course!

2. I have now posted our Learning Module three. The due date to complete this Module is Monday, February 16th. Again, it is very important to complete the discussion questions early so colleagues have time to respond to your posts.

3. I have not included any discussion questions for Chapter 3 (Verbal Communications). I have included two from Chapter 4 (Non-verbal Communications), not that Chapter 3 wasn’t important. I just felt the two questions from Chapter 4 would be kind of fun to respond to, that they might present a lively and interesting discussion. Remember to always respond to at least one colleague for each question. I know most all of you respond many times, and that really makes our discussion valuable.

4. While I am visiting about the discussion questions—always do your assignments via clicking on the Appropriate Learning Module, and complete the quizzes and discussion tasks by clicking on the quizzes and discussion questions via the Learning Module (not by going to the tabs on the left margin. ) Also, there are new questions for each Learning Module. So it is important to open each question and respond to that particular question.

5. Then, speaking of the quizzes. I think we all did well in accessing the quizzes; however, there were a couple problems, though no fault of yours. One of the reasons for making available two versions of each quiz for a chapter is in case some technical problem occurs during the answering of the first attempt. AND in a couple of cases, something did go wrong. It was usually associated with opening the quiz and not finishing it when you open it. You have 25 or 30 minutes to finish each quiz from the time you click on the “begin quiz” icon. You do not have unlimited time. The “unlimited” statement at the beginning of the quiz means the quiz is available all the time, but when you open it—you then only have the 25 or 30 minutes to complete it. Should you happen to open the quiz and don’t finish it in the time allotted, you will need to click on “finish” so the computer knows to allow you access to the second attempt (within one minute).

6. Another word about the quizzes. They are not perfect, and sometimes they don’t ask questions that either you or I feel are the most relevant. I don’t want you to agonize over getting perfect scores. The quizzes provide another strategy for us to employ in learning content. Some of us are whizzes at test taking, some of us are excellent writers, and some of us do better if we are assigned research papers. I guess that may be part of learning styles.

7. Again, if you have time in the next two weeks, please put your picture on the Roster page. I see some of you have added pictures since the last time. It is fun to be able to open the Roster and see your picture. If you need help, let Hui-Wen or me know or send your picture to us, and we will get it posted for you.

8. Last but not least. You will notice I did a video for the powerpoint for Chapter 4. It is an experiment. It is not a highly professional job, but I thought I would try it and see if you like it. I also have included the same powerpoint without audio or video In Learning Module Three, should you just wish to look it over. You may want to copy it and have it in hand as you view the video. The video for Chapter 4 is quite long (45 minutes) so we broke it up into four parts. I did the presentation as if I were actually teaching the class. I apologize for the length. You may want to make some popcorn before you begin viewing it! If you would like to give feedback to the video (and I would appreciate it—but be a little kind. J), please do so on our blog site. Then everyone can see your thoughts.

Well, that should be it for now… it is good visiting with you again. And again, thanks for the great job you are doing.

4 comments:

  1. What happens when we click the discussion link on the left side of the screen vs. entering through the learning module? I'm guilty. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brenda,

    When you click the "course content" button on the left sidebar, you will see different learning moduels in which all the assignments are listed.

    As for the "discussion" button, you will see the discussion questions for every learning moduel after clicking it. They can be found on learning moduel area as well.

    The course format for ADOL 576 on Blackboard may be a little different from the one you took before. Sorry for any confusion.

    Hui-Wen

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the videos...I had a bit of trouble with them, unfortunately. It was nice to be able to see you teach as well as hear you. However, in Part 1 there were two slides missing and the audio was almost too quiet to hear, and Parts 2 & 3 I could get the sound, but no video feed. Part 4 I could get the video, but no sound. I'm not very technically savvy with Windows Media Player, so it may have just been me.

    I like to transcribe PowerPoint slides in my notes, which I then type up and save forever to refer back to, so I am dissappointed to have missed all the Chapter 4 slides. Can you e-mail or post them by any chance?

    I do like the videos...I hope I can figure out how to run them better. :)

    Elin K.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elin,

    Nice to hear that you like Dr. T's video presentation. As for your question, you can
    download the PPT slides from Learning Module 3 on Blackboard. The part 2,3 and 4 of video presentation are in Learning Module 3. You can watch the whole video presentations for chapter 4. I only uploaded the part 1 to Google Video.


    ~Hui-Wen

    ReplyDelete